Holiday Treats Pets Should Avoid Eating

Happy Thanksgiving

Most Thanksgiving traditions usually include family, fun and lots of Thanksgiving treats and since dogs and cats are often considered part of the family, they often share in the celebration. The food however, is one part of the holiday you should not share with your pets. Please consider these Thanksgiving Day treats to avoid and keep your furry pals healthy!

Keep your pets healthy this Thanksgiving by taking note of these foods, commonly found at the Thanksgiving table, you should avoid giving to your pets.

Treats to Avoid

Thanksgiving treats to avoid giving your pet
Thanksgiving treats to avoid giving your pet.

Turkey Bones

It should be no surprise the food most often shared with pets at Thanksgiving is the turkey. While plain, skinless turkey meat is OK for dogs and cats, take special care to remove any bones. Turkey (and chicken) bones can splinter when they’re chewed which can cause choking or if swallowed can damage the stomach lining and intestines.

Turkey Skin

The skin on turkey meat may cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs and cats because of its fat content. Some pets can also develop inflammation of the pancreas from turkey skin, so remember to remove or avoid turkey skin altogether for your pets’ Thanksgiving dinner.

Grapes and Raisins

In addition to producing abdominal pain, loss of appetite and diarrhea, some varieties of grapes can also cause kidney failure in pets and should be avoided throughout the year. Dogs especially tend to be prone to health risks from grapes or raisins, but cats and other pets can also be at risk for poisoning from grapes and grape products.

Dog hiding in leaves
Dog hiding in leaves

Seasonings

Who would have thought the popular seasonings we love can actually be dangerous for our pets. Most notable are onions, garlic, leeks, shallots, chives, and scallions. Any of these seasonings can be toxic to both dogs and cats. In addition, popular holiday spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg can cause vomiting, diarrhea, low blood sugar, and heart rate changes.

It might be best to not give your pet ANY table scraps or leftovers. Instead, give them their own pet-approved treats!

Chocolate

The popular notion that chocolate can be poisonous to dogs does bear some truth. There is a compound in chocolate called theobromine (also found in tea and cola) which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased heart rate or elevated blood pressure, which can be fatal. While a tiny amount of chocolate may not be harmful, it’s best for your pets to avoid chocolate altogether.

Hopefully, these tips will help keep Thanksgiving safe and happy for your pets! Remember to include pets in your festivities but avoid giving them these five foods.

This page sponsored by Chewy.com!

In Case of Emergency

If your pet does happen to injust something questionable, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. 

If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply.

Let’s Get Social

For more pet care tips, please follow us on FacebookTwitterInstagramPinterest or LinkedIn!

You may also subscribe to our new newsletter featuring pet-related news articles from across the globe.

Related: Haloween Safety