Choose The Best CBD Oil
Let’s face it, CBD oil is “all-the-buzz” and selling like hotcakes! However, while the FDA legalized CBD in late 2018, it remains unregulated. So, you must be careful of who you purchase from. T or you could make a costly mistake!
There is so much information on this topic it is hard to know where to begin! Hopefully, this little guide will get you off to a good start.
CBD Oil Checklist
If you want to make sure your dog benefits from CBD, please follow the below checklist of what to look for. Yes, this is work but you and your pet are worth it!
Here are the things to keep in mind when shopping for CBD for your dog or for yourself.
- Look for Full or Broad Spectrum Hemp.
- Make sure your dog’s CBD oil is made with CO2 extraction.
- Don’t buy a product without a certificate of analysis.
- Is the CBD oil extracted from Marijuana or Hemp?
- CBD dosage for dogs.
There is definitely much to learn! Continue reading below to start your journey, or simply trust in Joy Organics (like we do) who has researched the subject extensively.
Note: In an article published in December 2019, FORBES named Joy Organics one of the top 10 CBD providers for athlete’s recovering from injury.
Joy’s THC-free pet tinctures give your favorite furry companions all the benefits of our phytocannabinoid-rich hemp oil. High-quality and easy to give, support your pet’s quality of life in a simple and effective way. All tincture bottles are 1oz (30ml). Learn More
Joy Organics CBD Gummies are a great combination of flavor and CBD. With only eight simple ingredients, each gummy is created with an eye on purity. Learn More
On with our story…
Choosing The Best CBD Oil
Look For A Full Or Broad Spectrum Hemp
CBD (Cannabidiol) is a naturally found substance found in both the cannabis and hemp plants. Both plants provide health benefits … but there are differences.
Cannabis (marijuana) contains THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). THC is responsible for the psychoactive properties of cannabis. It’s what some people refer to as getting “high” or catching a “buzz.”
Hemp contains much lower amounts of THC. To be sold legally, hemp will contain less than 0.03% THC. This allows you and your dog to benefit from a feeling of calmness without the “fog” associated with getting high. But not all hemp products are the same …
Read Labels Carefully
Check the label of your CBD product to make sure it’s full spectrum or broad spectrum. This means the CBD oil contains not just CBD, but other important cannabinoids including CBC and CBG.
CBC has been studied for its cancer-fighting activities, its ability to block pain and inflammation, and its positive effect on brain cells.
CBG is also being studied for its medicinal use. It’s been shown to decrease inflammation in the digestive tract, protect nerve cells and the eyes, support healthy bladder function and, again, fight cancer cells.
A full-spectrum CBD will also contain terpenes such as limonene, alpha-pinene, and beta-pinene. These are also naturally occurring medicinal substances found in all hemp.
Method of Extraction
To extract CBD-rich cannabis oil, one must start with CBD-rich plant material. There are many ways to extract oil from the cannabis plant, each has its pros and cons. Some methods are safer and more effective than others. Cannabis oil made with neurotoxic solvents like butane and hexane may leave unsafe residues that compromise immune function and impede healing.
- CO2The supercritical (liquid & gas), or subcritical (liquid only) CO2 method uses carbon dioxide under high pressure and extremely low temperatures to isolate, preserve, and maintain the purity of the medicinal oil. This process requires expensive equipment and a steep operational learning curve. But, when done well the end product is safe, potent, and free of chlorophyll.Using the CO2 method, the terpenes get pulverized and become hard to detect in testing. They will still be there and contribute to the CBD oil’s medicinal effects, but they might not show up on a Certificate of analysis.
- High-grade grain alcohol can be used to create high-quality cannabis oil appropriate for vape pen cartridges and other products. But this extraction method destroys the plant waxes, which may have health benefits that are favored by some product-makers. Other solvents can include propane or butane.CBD that has been extracted with solvents will better preserve the terpenes, so you should find them noted on the Certificate of Analysis, but this is not an ideal method of extraction not only because it can destroy the beneficial waxes, but because these solvents can leave a residue in the product that can be potentially toxic to your dog.
- Olive oil. Extra virgin or otherwise, olive oil can also be used to extract cannabis oil. Dr. Arno Hazekamp, director of phytochemical research at Bedrocan BV, which supplies medical cannabis for the Dutch Health Ministry, reports this method is both safe and inexpensive, “You won’t blow yourself up making cannabis-infused olive oil.” However, cannabis-infused olive oil—whether CBD-rich or THC-dominant—is perishable and should be stored in a cool, dark place.
Look For A Certificate Of Analysis
A certificate of analysis is a document, usually from a third-party laboratory, that shows the amount and type of cannabinoids in the CBD product. Further information can be found here: What to look for in a CBD Certificate of Analysis.
Every batch of CBD should have its own COA to protect you from poor quality products. If the COA isn’t listed on the website, make sure you ask for it before buying your dog’s CBD.
Know Where the Plant was Grown
You need to know where and how the hemp is grown that is used to make the CBD oil. And this plays a huge role in those test results you see in the COA.
Always look for an organic product to reduce any environmental toxin risks. You want to know that the soil and water it’s grown in is as clean as possible.
This is because hemp plants are really good sponges and can absorb contaminants as they grow. And this is why heavy metal toxicity can be a concern when looking at CBD oils.
Good luck with your research! Remember Joy Organics has done this work for you!
Joy Organics was created with a clear initiative: to develop premium pet CBD products through innovation and excellence, with service to match.For more pet care tips, photos and stories, follow us on Social Media.
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or LinkedIn.
Check out our pet products page for pet food and supplies needed for all of your pets!
Our Doggone Daily Newsletter is filled with articles and stories contributed by writers from around the world.