We all want to do what’s best for our pups, which leads to the question: What do I need to know about CBD oil and what affect will CBD have on my Pitbull and what kind of CBD Oil is Best for Pitbull’s? There is a lot of information floating around regarding the use of CBD oil for dogs so here I try break it down for you.
Understanding CBD Oil
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. It is important to note that most CBD products do not contain THC, the compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties, but products such as Full Spectrum CBD Oil does.
How Does CBD Effect Pitbull’s?
To date, there is not a formal study to learn how CBD effects dogs. What scientists do know is that cannabinoids interact with the dog’s endocannabinoid receptors located in the central and peripheral nervous systems. As with humans, this helps maintain balance in the body and supports a normal healthy state.
What Dog Health Problems Can CBD Oil Treat?
While there’s no definitive scientific data on using CBD to treat dogs, there are reports from dog owners that suggest it can treat pain, especially neuropathic pain, as well as helping to control seizures. Although there’s no conclusive data on this use, pet owners use CBD for many health benefits including:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Cardiac benefits
- Anti-nausea effects
- Appetite stimulation
- Possible anti-cancer benefits,
Can CBD Oil Calm My Pitbull?
Yes, in our experience she is less excitable when she sees other dogs being walked in front of house.
The AKC Canine Health Foundation (CHF) is sponsoring a study, through the Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, that will evaluate the use of CBD in treatment-resistant epileptic dogs. The CHF hopes that this will be the first study to gain scientific data on the use of CBD in dogs with this condition.
Possible Side Effects of CBD in Dogs
Again, there is no scientific data on the side effects of CBD in dogs, but you can consider the side effects for dogs based on how CBD affects humans.
- Dry mouth: Research has shown that CBD can decrease the production of saliva. For dogs, this would manifest as an increased thirst.
- Lowered blood pressure: High doses of CBD have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Even though the drop is small, it might create a brief feeling of light-headedness.
- Drowsiness: Dog owners have used CBD to treat anxiety. The calming effect of CBD can also cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
Risks of Using CBD Oil for Dogs
The safety and risks of using CBD for dogs have not yet been researched. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved CBD and has not issued a dosing chart. Remember any medication or supplement carries the risk of a reaction. It is always advisable, when giving your dog something new, to start out with small amounts and then closely monitor the effects. And always check with your veterinarian first.
CBD Products on the Market
If you decide to try CBD as a treatment for your dog, there are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing CBD oil. Not all oils are the same; you’ll want high-quality CBD oil to have a better chance of it working.
- Look for organic. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides, or solvents.
- Don’t only shop based on price. Higher quality and purity are usually associated with a higher cost. A cheaper option could contain toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides, or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
- Get the analysis. The manufacturer should provide a certificate that certifies the amount of CBD that is in the product. Many CBD products contain only small amounts of CBD. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a liquid. You can buy dog treats containing CBD, but the best form to administer is an oil or tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop.
Best for Dogs
We recommend Joy Organics premium CBD products for pets.
The CBD Wellness Trend
The legalization of medical marijuana in many places has triggered interest in potential health benefits of marijuana-related products. We are likely to see a growing trend in the use of CBD and hopefully an increase in the use of CBD Oil in dogs.
Learn more about the CBD study funded by the Canine Health Foundation.